Northwest Ohio Opportunity School Information
2017-18 School Year
Location: NW Ohio Opportunity School - Portable Classroom
Independence Education Center (IEC) Campus
6950 Independence Road, Defiance, OH 43512
School Day: 8:10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Mission: The mission of the Northwest Ohio Opportunity School is to provide an alternative, but challenging environment for at-risk students. The Northwest Ohio Opportunity School serves both long- and short-term students. Long-term students can make-up credits through online learning combined with textbook curriculum and face-to-face support so that they may rejoin their class to graduate on time, attend vocational school, attend CBI, or complete graduation requirements. The typical long-term grade level span served is 9th through 12th. Short-term students attend to remain in school and get credit for their school work while serving suspension time from 1-10 days. The typical short-term grade level span is 6th through12th.
Calendar: Our school follows the Independence Education Center (IEC) calendar. In the event of inclement weather, the Northwest Ohio Opportunity School follows the IEC for delays and/or closures.
Transportation: Student transportation will be coordinated by the home school and the parent/guardian. The Northwest Ohio Opportunity School does not provide transportation. Students may ride the bus to Four County Career Center then ride to the Opportunity School with another district who has students attending, but this must be coordinated by the home school. There is a shuttle provided from the IEC/Opportunity School back to Four County Career Center in the afternoon. Students are not allowed to drive to the Opportunity School/IEC campus.
Opportunity School Handbook: Our handbook, which includes all of the required forms needed to get both short- and long-term students enrolled can be found on the NwOESC’s website at:
Opportunity School Staff
Lori Ploegmakers, Teacher Phone: 567.444.4820 or 567.444.4800, x4770
Stacey Parrish, Program Supervisor Phone: 567.444.4800; x4846
Brandi Sabatino, Paraprofessional
Process for Student Enrollment
1. Contact Lori Ploegmakers by phone (567.444.4820) or via email at (Lploegmakers@nwoesc.org).
2. Send purchase order to NwOESC’s business office (must be in place before enrollment can begin).
3. Complete enrollment form and email to both Lori Ploegmakers and Stacey Parrish (Sparrish@nwoesc.org).
4. Lori will contact the school to discuss the placement of the student and to speak with the principal concerning the student.
5. A transcript listing completed course work will be provided to the home school at the end of the year for long-term students. A report detailing the work short-term students completed will be provided to the home school as well.
© 2013 Northwest Ohio Educational Service Center | 205 Nolan Parkway, Archbold, OH 43502 | (567) 444-4800